Cooking with local ingredients
Check out the website Taste of the Top End for inspiring recipes using local ingredients. Also keep an eye out for their cooking workshops and events.
Do you have spare food scraps that are currently going in the bin? Or maybe you are seeking food scraps for your chickens, worms or compost. These two sites can help:
Recommended tropical food gardening books
- The Tropical Permaculture Guidebook , a comprehensive guide to everything you need to know about growing food in a tropical climate zone. You can download PDF chapter as you need them by donation. A very worthwhile project to support.
- Tropical Food Gardens by Leonie Norrington
- Top End Gardening by Lachlan McKenzie, Melanie Bradley & Nicholas Gouldhurst
- Asian Herbs and Vegetables by Penny Woodward
Community Garden website has a directory of community gardens and some other general resources including the Darwin Garden Education Network (DGEN) Permaculture Fact Sheets (2012).
- What is Permaculture?
- Pest and weed management
- Pollination & Seed Saving
Pollinators and plants to help them
Bees play an important role in creating a healthy environment and productive garden. Here are some resources to help attract and support bees in your garden.