Lakeside Drive Community Garden is a welcoming space where all members of the community can come together to share skills, local and traditional knowledge and innovative ways of living sustainably. Collectively we will create a thriving, healthy centre for producing food, knowledge and inspiration based on permaculture ethics, principles and design.
Community gardens are recognised worldwide as a great way to grow food, improve health, meet people, and cultivate vibrant communities. Community gardens:
- Allow people to grow their own vegetables, fruit, herbs and flowers
- Contribute to building an ecologically viable and socially just food system
- Are a convivial way of getting fresh air and exercise with no gym fees
- Foster community engagement and a culture of generosity, reciprocity, trust and self-help
- Are great places to learn about gardening and share local and traditional knowledge
- Preserve and improve the precious green spaces in urban environments
- Develop innovative ways of living sustainably in the city
- Create art projects, community events, celebrations, workshops, and much more
- Provide opportunities for cultural exchange and learning.
- Some community gardens can produce enough food to share the surplus and/or develop community enterprises.
Read more about our Vision and Ethics